How does Amazon SEO work? Here’s a step-by-step guide with tips and examples for optimizing your product listings to connect with more customers.
What is Amazon SEO and why does it matter?
Amazon SEO, known as Search Engine Optimization, is the process by which product descriptions are perfected to make them appear higher in product searches on Amazon.
A few simple steps can enhance the visibility of your products in searches, increase sales, and help buyers discover your brand. As a seller on Amazon, you can use SEO tactics to:
- Increase traffic to your product descriptions.
- Improve the visibility of your products and your brand.
- Boost conversion rates and sales growth.
How Amazon SEO Works
- Searching on Amazon: Buyers search for products by entering words or phrases into the search box on Amazon’s homepage. They can refine their search after viewing initial results.
- Search Filters: Customers can use various filters to sort search results based on specific criteria, such as department, bestsellers, new arrivals, reviews, price, and more.
- Search Results Page: Results are determined by factors such as product title, description, optimized images, features, and competitive pricing. Enhancing these elements through SEO can increase your visibility.
- Sponsored Products: Sellers can use cost-per-click (CPC) ads to promote products. These ads appear on search results pages and product detail pages.
Amazon’s A10 Ranking Algorithm
The algorithm Amazon uses to rank products in search results is called A10. Its goal is to determine the most relevant products to display in buyer searches.
Unlike search engine algorithms like Google or Bing, A10 is designed specifically for transactional intent. In other words, Amazon users aren’t looking to learn new information or conduct research; they’re specifically interested in making a purchase.
A10 considers multiple factors when determining how to rank products, including:
- Keywords: Including relevant search terms in your product description signals to Amazon that your product is relevant for a specific search.
- Conversion Rate: Amazon aims to display products with a high conversion rate to buyers. Therefore, a high conversion rate can help your product appear at the top of Amazon search results.
- Reviews: Positive reviews encourage buyers to make a purchase. Having many positive reviews improves conversion rates and, in turn, search results.
- Sales History: A product with a significant sales history is popular for a reason. A prolonged sales history indicates to Amazon that your product deserves prominence among buyers. When someone mentions Amazon’s A9 or A10 algorithm, they’re referring to the criteria Amazon uses to rank products in a specific search on the Amazon search engine results page (SERP). However, internally, Amazon doesn’t seem to use this industry term.
Because of this, Amazon’s algorithm favors products that are more likely to generate sales.
Why Amazon Leads in Product Searches?
Amazon is the first choice for buyers because it offers trust and convenience. When people are already sure about what they want to buy, they turn to Amazon, where purchase intent is high. This makes it a critical place to sell. While Google Shopping is an option, Amazon surpasses it by a wide margin in terms of sales.
People still prefer Amazon as a shopping destination. If you’re considering advertising, keep in mind that the cost per click on Amazon is significantly lower than on Google, which can impact your profit margins.
It’s important to note that you can’t list Amazon products directly on Google Shopping, but your Amazon products can still appear in Google search results.
Given this information, focusing on selling on Amazon seems like a logical choice.
What is the Amazon SERP?
SERP stands for “Search Engine Results Page.” On Amazon, the SERP displays results to buyers once they’ve conducted a product search on Amazon. To improve your product’s position on the SERP, it’s important to optimize your product descriptions on Amazon.
Continue reading the rest of this article to discover how to enhance your product positions through search engine optimization (SEO).
What are some Amazon SEO tools?
When it comes to improving your presence on Amazon and optimizing your product listings, having the right tools can make a difference. Among the various options available, Epinium stands out as a specialized tool focused exclusively on Amazon sellers.
It offers a wide range of tools designed to help you achieve the best results with minimal effort.
SEO Audits and Buy Box Monitoring
Epinium not only assists you in keyword research and advertising but also conducts comprehensive SEO audits of your Amazon account. It detects and presents all areas for improvement in an intuitive dashboard, allowing you to easily address each error and optimize your strategies.
Additionally, Epinium recognizes the importance of the “Buy Box” in Amazon SEO. Its monitoring tool alerts you if you lose the Buy Box, a crucial aspect for maintaining high performance on the platform.
AI-Powered Keyword Research
One of the most critical aspects of Amazon SEO is selecting the right keywords.
Epinium simplifies and enhances this process through artificial intelligence. This feature enables you to find relevant and highly effective keywords for your niche market, improving the visibility of your products and optimizing your listings with surgical precision.
Amazon Advertising Automation with AI
Advertising on Amazon is an essential strategy for increasing sales. Epinium goes a step further by providing you with the ability to automate your Amazon Ads campaigns with AI.
This feature ensures that your advertising investment is used efficiently, maximizing your return on investment and reaching the right audience at the right time.
How does the Amazon ranking algorithm work?
Amazon ranks products based on the likelihood that someone will purchase them. But how does the Amazon algorithm know if someone is going to buy a product?
First, Amazon looks at the words a person uses to search. If the search words are not in your product description, your product may not appear in search results.
That’s why using the right words in your description is crucial. Next, Amazon assesses how well your product has performed in the past.
The algorithm considers factors such as:
- How many times people have clicked on your product in search results.
- How many times people have purchased your product after viewing it.
- Overall, how many products you’ve sold.
Your product might be more popular for some searches than others. For example, if someone is looking for a product of a specific color or size, and your product is just what they’re looking for, they are more likely to buy it.
What Makes a Product Rank on Amazon?
- Relevance of Keywords: Use relevant keywords in the product title, description, and bullet points. Ensure that your product is clearly described and labeled.
- Sales Velocity: The more money your product generates, the better its ranking will be. Sales velocity is calculated considering page views, price, conversion rate, and sales cycle. Offer competitive prices and a solid shopping experience.
- Conversion Rate: It is the percentage of visits to your product page that results in a sale. Key factors for improving the conversion rate include high-quality images, competitive prices, and good reviews. Persuasion and clarity in the description are also crucial.
- Brand Optimization: Define your brand solidly and consistently across all your listings. Use relevant keywords for your brand and products. Ensure that your brand values stand out and align with customer expectations.
- Product Description and Key Features: Provide a detailed and compelling product description. Use key points to highlight essential features. Add relevant information about dimensions, colors, and available quantities.
- Hidden Keywords: In your Amazon seller account settings, use hidden keywords that are relevant to your product. This will help Amazon better understand your product and display it in relevant searches.
What is Amazon’s Featured Offer? And How Does It Work?
The Amazon Buy Box, also known as the Featured Offer, is the primary option that appears on a product page and allows customers to quickly add it to their shopping cart. To qualify as the Featured Offer, you must have a Professional Seller account. When multiple sellers offer the same product in new condition, they compete to win the Buy Box and be the preferred choice for customers on that product page.
The Benefits of Amazon SEO
Amazon SEO offers many benefits for sellers. By implementing effective SEO strategies, you can enjoy the following advantages:
- Increase Sales and Revenue: By optimizing your product listings with relevant keywords, high-quality images, and compelling descriptions, your business can appear in higher search results, attracting more potential buyers. This translates into higher click-through rates, improved sales, and ultimately, increased revenue.
- Boost Product Visibility and Credibility: The more your potential customers see, hear, and read about you both inside and outside Amazon, the more they consider you a credible business. While the products you offer may be similar to your competitors, customers tend to choose you because of familiarity.
- Help Customers Make Informed Decisions: Thanks to effective keyword optimization and product descriptions, customers can easily find the products they need. They can make informed decisions with readily accessible relevant and accurate product information. This leads to higher customer satisfaction and conversion rates.
- Improve Brand Awareness and Loyalty: By optimizing product listings with relevant keywords and ensuring high visibility in search results, businesses can reach a broader audience, increasing brand exposure. This increased visibility helps build credibility and trust among potential customers, encouraging repeat purchases and long-term loyalty.
- Enhance Competitive Advantage: Amazon SEO helps improve a company’s competitive advantage by increasing visibility and rankings in search results. With higher rankings and more potential customers, businesses can gain an edge in the highly competitive Amazon Marketplace.
- Improve Seller Ranking: With Amazon SEO, your products are more likely to appear at the top of search results, increasing visibility and attracting more traffic to your listings. This can significantly boost sales and revenue, as customers often choose products from better-ranked sellers.
How to Improve SEO on Amazon: Tips & Best Practices
Optimize your Amazon listings in 10 steps
Consider SEO as an ongoing process to connect with Amazon’s 300 million customers. Start by integrating optimization as a continuous part of your e-commerce strategy. Additionally, you can focus your efforts on seven key aspects of the product listing: Step 1: Keyword Research
- Create a comprehensive list of relevant keywords.
- Consider both long and short keywords.
- Use Amazon’s autocomplete feature to discover popular keywords.
Step 2: Optimize the Product Title
- Ensure the title reflects the product packaging.
- Keep the title concise, between 60 and 80 characters.
- Avoid excessive capitalization and start with the brand.
Step 3: Optimize Product Descriptions
- Include details such as brand, size, and color.
- Highlight important features.
- Follow product quality and condition policies.
Step 4: Optimize Key Features
- Highlight up to five key features.
- Keep descriptions concise, totaling no more than 1,000 characters.
Step 5: Optimize Product Images
- Use high-quality images with multiple perspectives.
- Ensure images have a white background and occupy at least 85% of the space.
Step 6: Optimize Backend Keywords
- Add relevant keywords in the backend of your listing to improve visibility.
- Use relevant synonyms and abbreviations.
Step 7: Optimize Product Price
- Research the competition and adjust your prices to remain competitive.
- Consider offering free shipping.
Step 8: Use A+ Content
- Enhance your listings with A+ content to stand out and increase conversions.
Step 9: Experiment with A/B Testing
- Conduct A/B tests on different product elements to determine what works best.
Step 10: Monitor and Adapt
- Regularly analyze your listing’s performance.
- Adapt your strategy based on data and feedback.
15 Ways to Improve Your Amazon Listing’s Ranking
- Keyword Research: Utilize tools like Epinium to discover relevant keywords for your Amazon listings and fine-tune your keyword strategy.
- Optimize Product Title: Craft clear and descriptive titles following Amazon’s guidelines, including the brand, description, and other vital attributes.
- Enhance Product Bullets: Showcase the top five product features in the bullet points, using initial capitalization and avoiding promotional information.
- Optimize Product Description: Write detailed descriptions, adhering to Amazon’s rules, and focus on dimensions, care instructions, and warranties.
- Backend Keywords: Employ relevant keywords in the backend keyword section of your listing to enhance visibility.
- High-Quality Images: Ensure high-resolution and professional images, following Amazon’s guidelines.
- Competitive Pricing: Set competitive prices to increase your chances of winning the Amazon Buy Box.
- Maintain Positive Reviews: Encourage positive customer reviews by complying with Amazon’s review guidelines.
- Utilize Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA): Leverage Amazon’s FBA program to streamline the fulfillment process and offer additional advantages.
- Implement Amazon A+ Content: If you’re a registered brand, use Enhanced Brand Content (EBC) or A+ Content to enhance the quality of your listing.
- Avoid Keyword Stuffing: Refrain from overloading your product title with excessive keywords, as it can harm your ranking rather than improving it.
- Strategic Offers and Discounts: Utilize strategic offers and discounts to attract more buyers and enhance your visibility.
- Swift Response to Customer Queries: Respond promptly to customer questions on your product page to improve customer satisfaction.
- Competitor Monitoring: Keep an eye on your competitors and adjust your strategy accordingly to stay competitive.
- Regular Updates: Make frequent updates to your listings to reflect changes in the market and customer preferences.
5 Quick Tips to Create Compelling Amazon Product Listings
- Avoid Keyword Repetition: Refrain from using the same keywords repeatedly in your listings, as it may come across as spam and not benefit your ranking.
- Customer-Centric Approach: Write sales content with the customer in mind, highlighting benefits and features that interest them.
- Enhance Your Rankings: Work on improving your rankings through effective SEO tactics. This will increase your visibility on Amazon.
- Follow Basic Listing Styles: Ensure you follow basic style guidelines in your listings, including proper capitalization, using numbers instead of words, and avoiding excessive promotional content.
- Download the Quick Style Guide for Amazon Sellers: Access the Quick Style Guide for Amazon Sellers to get more tips on enhancing your listings and sales strategies on the platform.
Tracking and Measuring Amazon SEO Performance
If you’re optimizing your list and working on Amazon SEO, it’s essential to know how it’s performing. You can do this manually by searching for your product using a specific formula in Amazon’s search bar. However, this can be tedious. The more practical option is to use a tool like Epinium, which automatically tracks your product’s ranking and your competitors, saving you time and helping you refine your keyword strategy.
Factors Influencing A10’s Search Rankings
To succeed on Amazon, it’s crucial to understand the factors that influence rankings in Amazon A9 search. These factors can be divided into two significant groups: Explicit Factors:
- Price: Your product’s price compared to competitors can impact your position in search results. A significant difference can be detrimental.
- Stock Availability: Maintaining product availability is essential. Out-of-stock products can lead to lower rankings or the disappearance of your listings.
- Text Relevance: Optimizing your product title and description with relevant keywords is crucial for improving visibility.
- Sales Velocity: As you increase sales of your products, you have a better chance of achieving higher rankings and success on Amazon.
Common Amazon SEO Mistakes to Avoid
As we near the end of this Amazon SEO guide, you now have the knowledge to analyze the A10 search engine and optimize your product listings. However, businesses often overlook other aspects of the Amazon process. These aspects may seem insignificant at first glance but can eventually have a negative impact on a business’s sales performance on Amazon. Here are some of the most common mistakes made by Amazon entrepreneurs in their SEO strategy:
- Inventory Mismanagement: Ensure you manage your product quantity effectively. Not having enough or having too much stock can lead to customer problems.
- Neglecting Your Keywords: Using keywords in your strategy once is not enough. You must keep them up to date and monitor how they perform to continually improve.
- Failure to Understand Amazon’s Changes: Amazon’s search engine changes periodically. If you don’t stay updated on these changes, your strategy could become outdated.
- Not Analyzing Your Competitors: Observing what your competitors are doing on Amazon can help you find opportunities to stand out and improve your listings.
- Providing Incorrect Information: Sharing false information in your listings will only harm your reputation and could get you into trouble. Stay honest with the information you provide.
Avoiding these mistakes will help you succeed on Amazon and continually improve your SEO strategies. Save time in this process with our platform where Amazon sellers can save 60% time optimizing product detail pages, be 50% more effective following Amazon’s Style Guides and increase their sales by 30%. Get a free audit and start optimizing your listings now! Take advantage of it.