In today’s blog post, we will be discussing the different Amazon Automatic Targeting Campaigns that exist.
In order to provide you with the highest control, Amazon offers different automatic targeting campaigns for you to implement.
- Close Match –These Ads will be only be shown to shoppers whose searches “closely” match your products for sale
- Loose Match – These Ads will be only be shown to shoppers whose searches “loosely” match your products for sale
- Substitutes – These Ads will only be shown to shoppers who view the detail pages that “closely” match your products for sale
Complements – These Ads will only be shown to shoppers whose searches “complement” your products for sale
Close Match Automatic Targeting Amazon PPC Campaigns
For close match Amazon automatic targeting campaigns, Amazon will try to only show your products for searches that “closely” match the products you have for sale.
Generally, these are the primary automatic Amazon search campaigns that you should be running since they are claimed to have the highest conversion rate. The only downside to this match type is that Amazon won’t show your products for as many keyword queries, hence the impression you get might be less.
Loose Match Automatic Targeting Amazon PPC Campaigns
For loose match Amazon automatic campaigns, Amazon will try to only show your products for searches that “loosely” match the products you have for sale.
In general, you should only implement this ad type if you are already converting well with your “close match” campaigns and you wish to scale or boost your ads for higher impressions.
Ads convert mostly worse than the close match campaigns but the impressions number is significantly higher.
Complement Products Automatic Targeting Amazon PPC Campaigns
When you enable “complement products”, Amazon will show your ads on the product detail pages of complementary products.
These types of ads are hit or miss and depend greatly on the types of products that you have to sell.
It is recommended to begin with substitute products first and then try to add complements if you need additional impressions for your ads.
For some campaigns, complement product targeting does not convert well at all but at the same time volume is low.
Substitute Products Automatic Targeting Amazon PPC Campaigns
When you implement “substitute products”, Amazon will show your ads on the product detail pages of similar products.
Amazon Dynamic Bid Adjustments
For every campaign you run, Amazon will give you the option to test their machine learning bidding algorithms.
You will have 3 choices:
- Dynamic Bids Down Only – Amazon will automatically lower your bids if a customer is performing a search that Amazon reckons to be unlikely to convert.
- Dynamic Bids Up And Down – Amazon will increase your bid whenever it reckons a customer is highly likely to make a purchase
- Fixed Bid – Amazon will not adjust your bid no matter the circumstances.
Amazon’s dynamic up and down bids are not ready for prime time yet. As a result, you only should select Dynamic Bids Down for your campaigns.
Amazon Dynamic Placement Bid Adjustments
In addition to automated up and down bid adjustments, Amazon also allows you to dynamically adjust your bids to achieve higher placements in the search results.
We gathered up your options:
- Top Of Search – These bid adjustments will affect placements on the top line of the search results
- Product Placement – These bid adjustments affect ads on the product details page, and all non-search placements such as the add to cart page
- Rest Of Search – This category covers ads shown in the middle or at the bottom of the search results.
As usual, if you liked this post, make sure not to miss the upcoming ones and leave a comment on the comments section below if you have any doubts!